Handmade Monday - 25th November

Thursday 14 November 2013


If you follow my Facebook page, you'll have seen me share this image already, but I haven't talked much about Handmade Monday, what it is, or why I want to be involved. Simply put, Handmade Monday is the handmade alternative to Black Friday, a day to buy handmade, artisan products and show your support for small businesses, artists, and crafters of all kinds.

Now, I know 25th November is a busy time for plenty of you in the US, with Thanksgiving right around the corner. And I know there are plenty of reasons why Black Friday is awesome - massive discounts are always awesome, after all. I also know that there are good reasons to buy commercial and mass-produced products - convenience, cost, availability, etc. So I want to give you some good reasons to support Handmade Monday and take a little time on the 25th to shop handmade instead of mass-produced.

1. You get something unique. Especially if you buy perfumes! Every person's body chemistry is unique and therefore the way a perfume reacts with every person is completely different. So nobody else in the world is going to smell like you do, even if they're wearing the same artisan scent.

2. You get to support starving artists. Well, okay, hopefully none of us are actually starving. But personally I love buying something know that the profits are going straight to the creator and not getting lost in a chain of bureaucracy. And buying direct from a committed, passionate artist is a great experience, guaranteed to give you something made with real love and care.

3. You know what you're getting. One of the biggest motivators for me in buying handmade bath and beauty products (as well as making my own) is knowing exactly what I'm putting in and on my body. Simple, natural ingredients packed full of skin-friendly bonuses. No man-made chemicals. I really believe that when it comes to my body, Nature knows best. And by buying handmade, you can be sure you're treating yourself right.

4. You can get a head start on your Christmas shopping. I'm going to be offering some great deals all day on Handmade Monday, and I know I won't be the only one (check the Facebook page and the #handmademonday hashtag on Twitter and Facebook to see what other people are doing), so if you're looking for one-of-a-kind Christmas gifts, this is a great starting point.

In the run-up to Handmade Monday, I'll be sharing links to some of the many shops taking part, so if you're keen to share the handcrafted love, keep an eye on my Facebook and Twitter pages to see what's on offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment